Degree in Industrial Engineering and Economics in Barcelona
Project's description and mission:
Mission: To promote new inter-university degree in industrial engineering and economics in Barcelona, in collaboration with the UPF, the UPC and a third international university. This degree aims to form professionals in the field of industrial engineering and the economy with business involvement, global-in-nature and focused on contributing to the economic competitiveness of the city.
Precedents: During June of 2015, Barcelona Global organised in the frame of a Barcelona Global Challenge 3 sessions lead by Joaquim Coello with the involvement of Francesc Solá, Teresa García-Milà, Martí Parellada. More than 60 members that shared the need to promote a model replicated at the level of a university degree that will form excellent professionals in an environment with strong business commitment. Resulting from these 3 sessions emerged the willingness to start a pilot test in the fields of industrial engineering and economics, with the participation of the University Pompeu Fabra and the Universitat Politénica de Cataluña.
Specific objectives of the project:
The global objectives of the Project are the following:
- Create an interuniversity degree of excellence as a mechanism to boost the training of highly qualified professionals.
- Influence the financial competitiveness through the incorporation of international talent.
- Involve companies in the design and implementation of the degree qualification.
- Establish a scalable method to replicate it, if necessary, in other disciplines and academic projects in the future.
The Projects aims to provide an innovative proposal and one of excellence from a set of unique attributes:
- Elaboration of a new degree qualification that incorporates curriculum content of engineering combined with a training in economics.
- Interuniversity collaboration (UPC, UPF more, eventually, a third international university).
- Configuration of the curriculum in basic, generic and specific subjects with attention to transversal skills.
- Teaching given in English.
- Involvement of business sector from the outset.
- Quality professional practices, emphasizing the international dimension, with the maximum managerial and academic joint responsibility.
- Development of a part of the curriculum outside of Catalonia.
- Specific system to select students (attitudes, aptitudes), faculty of UPC, UPF and outside.
- Capture of students from all around the world.
- Creation of collaboration mechanisms with the clear objective of employability.
- Involvement of FemCAT, Barcelona Global and the brand of Barcelona associated with formation of international excellence.
- Initiative of the civil society and two universities as an example of the collaboration of Public and Private.
Proponents Partners or partner and team driver:
Líder de la iniciativa: Joaquim Coello Entitats implicades: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, FemCAT, Barcelona Global. Equip impulsor del Challenge: Francesc Solà, Martí Parellada, Teresa García-Milà.
For the development of the initiative will create a management team that will lead the setting up of the degree of excellence in engineering and economics:
- Agreement between universities and creation of the new official title, Interuniversity.
- Identification of employers of in initiative.
- Design of governance.
- Design of grade with the corresponding academic entities.
- Global search for international partnership with university institute with worldwide prestige.
- Agreement with the Department of Business and Knowledge of Implementation of the Degree.
- Creation of the degree of excellence in industrial engineering and economics before two years from the approval of the project
- Count with a group of companies involved to support and participate in the initiative of the degree of excellence in engineering and economics.
- To incorporate the first promotion for the degree during the 2020-2021 course on the labour market.